Must have kitchen tools/gadgets– Love your kitchen? Love cooking? Here is a quick list of must have kitchen tools and gadgets:
1. Silicone Whisk– Every kitchen needs a whisk but I say splurge and spend the extra money on a whisk coated with silicone so that you can use it while your cooking on your non-stick pans. Great for sauces, scrambled eggs, etc.
2. Can Opener– Invest in a good can opener. I have attached an old blog that gives you some examples of great can openers that I have found. (click on ‘Can we Talk’ link) Can We Talk?
3. Measuring Spoon– No kitchen is complete with out a good set of measuring spoons. Make sure you get a set that attaches and detaches easily so that you can store them well but get to them easily when you need them.
4. Measuring Cups – You will need a liquid measuring cup and a set of dry measuring cups. Check out the blog link to get an understanding of why you need both. A cup is not a cup is not a cup.
5. Spatula – Spatulas are great for spreading icing, glazes, etc. but I also like to use them when I am cooking eggs. So much easier to make omelets with a spatula. Trust me. Try it. You’re going to flip!
6. Citrus squeezer– My fave. It even warranted it’s very own blog. Click here for more info: Pucker up buttercup!
7. Wooden Spoons – I have no actual facts to back this up but I swear sauces turn out better when you use wooden spoons. Here’s a blog for more info: Clearing up the Rumors.
8. Ice cream scoop – Really. Do I need to explain why? Here is a review of the different types of ice cream scoops and my recommendations. To scoop or not to scoop.
9. Peeler – Peelers are an essential if you like to cook. Pretty self-explanatory. Honestly, if you don’t like to cook frequently then you can skip a peeler and use a paring knife for your peeling needs.
10. Basic tool set (Turner, Slotted Turner, Spoon, Slotted Spoon) – The amount of money and type of material you need to get depends on your level of cooking as well as the type of pans that you have. If you only cook occasionally, a nylon tool set will be perfect. They are incredibly cheap and will cover all your basic needs. if you have stainless steel pans and you cook frequently, you will want a set of stainless steel tools (preferably with a nylon or silicone handle to protect your hands). If you have non-stick pans and cook frequently, you will want a good set of silicone tools.
I am sure that this list will change or need to be extended but hopefully you this will give you a good starting point.
Happy cooking everyone!!